Dave Burke, a licensed architect based in Santa Barbara, California, discusses how you can best prepare for your first meeting your architect. Generally speaking, the more prepared you are the more productive the meeting. Dave recommends that you consider the following:
- Get organized before the consultation with Burke Design
- Identify a single architectural style
- Bring old plans of your house
- Bring a survey of your property
- Identify and correct zoning violations
- Be honest about your budget
- We can research code and zoning issues
If you can’t find your old house plans, the local Santa Barbara chapter of the AIA may have your home’s plans on file.
There are many good publications out there but we recommend one in particular: Architect Magazine. You might get some good ideas from it.